Situated at an elevation of 4000 meters, Basmai is a cradle shaped hanging valley in one of the remote places to visit in the Kashmir Himalayas. It lies in the Ganderbal and Anantnag district of Jammu and Kashmir, sharing its boundary with Zanskar to the other side and is dominated by the majestic Kohlai peak. The valley surrounded by snow-covered peaks and alpine forest flora is a treat for nature lovers and bird watchers alike. Trekking towards a little known Soun Valley from Basmai is another experience.
June to September
Day 1 – Drive from Srinagar to Gagangir
- Western Mountains can also arrange for taxis on request and trekker expense to pick you from the Srinagar TRC and drop you at Gagangir .Please let us know during registration if you would like to opt for the pick-up service.
- It is a scenic drive from Srinagar to Gagangir and has a wonderful mix of grasslands, scattered forests and snow covered mountains.
- Overnight stay in tents.
- Meals: (Tea& Snacks, Dinner)
Day 2: Gagangir to Basmai.
- Day 2 starts with a short and a steep hike towards Basmai on a well-marked trail with towering pine trees. Don’t miss out on the breath-taking views of the valley below alongside the gushing river.
- Once you are halfway up the trek, you’d see a tree decorated with lots of plastic materials, it has no history associated with it.
- The climb gets a little more gradual after the halfway mark. And you would reach Basmai camp in another 3 hours.
- Overnight stay in Camp or Gujjar Huts.
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Tea& Snacks, Dinner.
Day 3: Basmai to Soun Valley.
- Continuing to the ride side of the valley, we climb up a small ridge towards Soun from the right of the Gujjar settlement, the trail towards the right climbs to the small pass where Soun valley is visible with its splendour.
- The ascent to Soun is short and gradual and offers spectacular views of the valley from the pass.
- A gradual trail down leads us to the Soun Valley which may take up to 3 hours from the pass, we camp in the valley.
- Meals: (Breakfast, Lunch, Tea& Snacks, Dinner).
Day 4 – Rest day.
- Today you get to relax by the valley, explore surrounding meadows, soak in the magnificent mountainscape, uncover a few local Gujjar cultures, share travel stories, meditate, exercise your photography skills and do anything that soothes your soul (without disturbing others trekkers/nature).
- Overnight stay in tents.
- Meals – Breakfast, Lunch, Tea & Snacks, Dinner.
Day 5: Soun Valley to Rezan and drive back to Srinagar
- On the final day, we start with a gradual ascent towards a small pass on the right and then we trek past a few tree line, some grassy lands and towards the pine forest cover on the right side of the valley. Follow the forest line for about 8 hours and descend into the Rezan village.
- Cabs can be arranged on request and trekker expense to take you to Srinagar from the village. Please let us know during registration if you would like to opt for the dropped service to Srinagar.
- Meals: Breakfast & Lunch.
Altitude: Max. Altitude of 13,000 ft.
Temperature: One can expect the temperature to range from 25 degree Celsius during the day and drop down to as low as 5 degree Celsius during the night. Do note that due to wind chills, it can feel a lot colder especially during evenings and nights.
Trek Duration: 5 days.
Trek Season: June – October.
Base Camp: Gagangir.
How to reach Basecamp:
Gagangir is situated at a distance of 75kms from Srinagar and can be reached in approximately 4 hours.
To reach Srinagar, you can take a train to Jammu and take a taxi/bus ride for the rest of the journey. You can also take the flight to Srinagar from Delhi or Mumbai with or without a stopover at Jammu. By bus, Srinagar is linked by the National Highway 1A to the rest of the country.
Nearest Airport / Rail line/road connectivity: The nearest airport is the Sheikh ul Alam airport, also known as the Srinagar airport. Jammu is the nearest rail connectivity point and is well connected to all major cities by train.
Submit inquiry for cost
- Accommodation in dome tents (2/3 per tent).
- Meals mentioned in the itinerary on a fixed menu/ buffet basis.
- Internal transportation cost as per itinerary.
- Camping Equipment: Tents, Sleeping bags, mats, gaiters.
- All charges for guides and permits.
- Transportation cost from Srinagar to Gagangir and Rezan to Srinagar.
- Backpack offloading: Trekkers are expected to carry their own backpacks. If the trekker cannot carry his/her backpack due to physical inability and chooses to offload on mules, this will be on additional cost.
- Airfares, airport taxes and anything not mentioned in the inclusions and itinerary.
- Meals, tea, coffee, mineral water, tips, transfers not mentioned in the itinerary.
- Doctor, telephone, laundry and other personal expenses.
- Cost of personal emergency exit or expenses due to external factors such as climatic conditions.
Health & Fitness Requirements:
This trek does not require you to have any previous trekking or mountaineering experience. We do however highly recommend having an adventurous spirit and willingness to undergo the joys & hardships of outdoor camping, in addition to good physical and mental fitness, to completely enjoy the trek. If you suffer from severe muscular, chest, heart or bronchial ailments, we advise you against participating since most treks happen in remote areas with limited access to medical services & hospital facilities.
Our Trek Leaders are experienced mountaineers and we trust their judgments. If during the trek, the Trek Leader advises you against continuing on the trek, we request you to respect his judgment and follow his instructions.